Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A new country and a new life.

I am Maria Garcia. At the age of 17, my husband and I decided to come to this country in search of a better life for us and our eight-month-old baby son named David. Because our goal was to save some money and return to our country, I did not start attending school until after 8 years. One day, I realized my dreams of becoming a teacher could come true but it would take much more effort since I did not speak or write English. The long journey began when I started taking English as a second language; then, when I got my GED, I enrolled in a community college where I had to take some English classes that helped with writing, speaking, and comprehending the language.
This is my son David
It took a long time to earn an AA in ECE. My friends and family look puzzled when they heard I was still attending college and teaching a preschool class. My now twenty-eight-year-old son encourages me to continue with my education and sees in me a role model who, like any of us in this class, has worked very hard to be where I am right now. Thank God I am only six classes away from earning a BA but it feels that day will never come.



My husband and Me.
Concerning technology, I started falling behind in the use of
 ipods, ipads, smart phones, etc. When I found out I was taking a
 technology class, I felt somehow stressed out thinking about how
advanced technology is nowdays and how little I know about it.
However, I am amazed at what I have learned so far and I am
willingto learn as much as I can about this fascinating
technological field.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story, Maria. It is a great feeling when your children see you as a role model. Good for you for continuing to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider adding some personal images to your posts!

      Delete