Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Tech, Tac, Toe - Wordle

          Another tool I found interesting is called Wordle. Wordle is a tool for generating "word clouds" from text you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes. The images you create with Wordle are yours to use however you like. You can print them out, or save them to the Wordle gallery to share with your friends.
          
          Since I was not familiar with this tool, I had to watch a couple of you tube videos that demonstrated how to make a Wordle. The hardest step for me was to find a file where to save it, since I decided not to save it in the website gallery.

Wordle in a preschool classroom


        Wordle is another tool I will be using with my preschool class for our "Frogs" theme. 
       Throughout the week, we will be learning theme-related vocabulary. Also, my children have been singing the nursery rhyme song: “Five Little Speckled Frogs” and other familiar songs related to our theme. 
I will provide children with cards with printed words on them and encourage children to copy and type them on Microsoft word. Frogs Facts and the nursery rhyme lyrics will be part of the text that later will be used to make a Wordle. I will strongly encourage children to type easy and short words but most likely most of the text will be typed by a teacher. By the time our Wordle is ready, children will be encouraged to use it for different activities:
  •  Finding words beginning with the same letter
  • Counting words beginning with the same letter
  • Comparing rhyming words
  • Finding number words
  • Finding shortest vs. longest word

                                             This wordle was created with Wordle.net
Wordle was created in Wordle.net
  




 


         
          

No comments:

Post a Comment